WEEK 14: HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY

Image result for hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Wow, that was certainly different from usual. I thought that the stories wouldn’t get weirder after the “new weird” segment, but things just keep getting stranger and stranger in the sci-fi segment. I do appreciate that this book doesn’t particularly feel like typical sci-fi, if that makes any sense. What I mean by that is that it feels fresh to the genre. Though it takes place in outer space and there is the classic space jargon still present, it isn’t restricting itself to the tropes of sci-fi. There is upbeat comedy and fun bantering between the two hitchhikers that makes the story so much more entertaining. It kind of reminds me of more modern sci-fi shows like Space Dandy or Voltron (the updated version, not the one from the 80s). But anyways, let’s get on with the review!


As I was listening to the radio show, I found myself in constant awe with the progression of the plot itself. I loved how quickly Douglas Adams just rolled on with the middle act of the story; the destruction of the world has never happened so fast. I also really enjoyed the little snippets of the actual guide describing certain aspects of the story, like the dangerous Vogon poetry bit. As for modern day issues, the story started out with one right off the bat with the demolition project. It was funny how Arthur, and even the riot, spent so much time worrying about the demolition of his house only to have it wiped out with the rest of the world literally ten minutes after being introduced. I took this as Adams’ opinion on government power and social conflict. Arthur felt like a relatable middle-man sort of guy who tries his best to fight against the bigger system. Unfortunately, his efforts were kind of pointless since the whole planet was vaporized. I guess all the fuss over worldly possessions just doesn’t matter in the end, and that’s actually a pretty profound message to take from this story. It was a great exposition to the hitchhiking, because it shows how he was able to disconnect from the world both physically and mentally with the crazy space mishaps he went through. I definitely want to watch the movie now as well, despite the so-so reviews on it.

Stacy Moon

Comments

Popular Posts